HANHART WATCH HISTORY
The year was 1882 and Hanhart watches were born.
Although founded in Switzerland, the company soon relocated Hanhart Museumtheir
manufacture in 1902 to Schwenningen in southern Germany, which at the time was
the stronghold of watchmaking.
The sport-loving Willy Hanhart introduced the world’s first reasonably priced
mechanical stopwatch in 1924. He had participated in a track and field sports
meeting in the previous year, for which the organizers had great difficulty in
finding even four stopwatches of varying quality.
These timepieces came exclusively from Switzerland at that time and were only
available at exorbitant prices, if at all, since essentially individual watches
were produced to order. The young Hanhart became so irritated that he decided to
manufacture stopwatches himself.
Together with a master watchmaker, he conceived and designed the first
reasonably priced mechanical stopwatch – and in doing so he pressed the start
button for the company that leads the stopwatch sector to this day with in-house
Hanhart Calibre 40
In 1934 Hanhart established production facilities deep in the Black Forest
region of Germany in Gutenbach to expand the product range to pocket watches and
then to wristwatches.
This production facility is still in use today and contains an amazing museum
documenting the history of the brand and its products.
1938 marked the start of a new chapter in the history of the company when the
first Hanhart chronograph wristwatch model entered series production.
This was the single-button chronograph "Calibre 40", which would soon become
established as the company’s main product with distinctive Hanhart design
features that carry forward to today's collection.